In this article:
Ingredients | Preparation | Customization | Tips
Sometimes it is all about the sauce.
Chimichurri sauce is one of those that you can’t go wrong with. It brings any dish to a whole new level!
This marinated flank steak with chimichurri sauce is a great summer recipe because it is best prepared on a very hot grill.
Flank steak is very lean and can be a little tough. However, it is extremely flavorful so well worth it if you prepare it and cut it properly.
Try serving it with Oven Roasted Turmeric Veggies on the side.
- Olive Oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Flat leaf parsley
- Red pepper flakes
- Lemon Juice
- Lime Juice
- Flank Steak
- Salt and Pepper
Place the sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor and whir it up until smooth.
The flank steak gets added to the marinade and sits for an hour to overnight in the fridge.
When ready the steak is tossed onto a very hot grill and served with the incredibly mouth exploding chimichurri sauce.
You could certainly change out a couple of ingredients if you need to.
For the chimichurri sauce you could alternate the lime juice with lemon juice, or adjust the amount of garlic to your liking.
You could switch out the red wine vinegar for white vinegar and you would still have a great tasting chimichurri sauce.
The flank steak could be switched out for a skirt steak and honestly this sauce would be awesome on any kind of meat.
Use the freshest ingredients possible for this sauce to get maximum flavor.
Grow your own herbs and pick them at the peak of freshness.
You only have to marinate the steak for an hour if you are pressed for time but because this cut of meat is a little on the tough side it would be best to marinate it overnight in the fridge.
Ideas for using this aaamazin suace:
- Roasted meats
- Grilled veggies
- Scrambled eggs
Marinated Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- ½ c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 c. red wine vinegar
- 1 c. fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 c. fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves fresh garlic peeled
- ¾ t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 t. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ c. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 T. fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves fresh garlic chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ lbs. flank steak sliced into thin strips
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the olive oil, vinegar, parsley, cilantro, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and cumin in a food processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and set aside.
- In a small glass bowl, combine the olive oil, lime juice, and chopped garlic with a fork. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Place the flank steak in a large, sealable plastic bag and add the olive oil mixture. Tightly seal the bag and turn a couple times to coat the steak in the marinade. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to overnight.
- To prepare, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the steak from the marinade and allow excess to drip off before adding to the hot skillet. Cook the steak for 3-4 minutes, then turn and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes for medium-rare results. Adjust cooking times to reach the desired level of doneness.
- Remove from heat and transfer steak to a cutting surface. Let rest for 5 minutes before cutting into very thin slices against the grain. To serve, drizzle steak with some Chimichurri sauce and pass remaining sauce for those who prefer a little more. Enjoy!