Roasted Tomato and Fennel Soup
- 1½ lbs. Roma tomatoes halved
- 2 medium red bell peppers deseeded and quartered
- 1 large fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots cut in half lengthwise
- 2 medium shallots outer skin removed and halved
- 4 cloves garlic smashed and peeled
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 T. fresh thyme leaves
- 4 c. organic chicken broth
- ½ c. full-fat coconut milk
- ½ c. fresh basil leaves thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Arrange the tomatoes, red peppers, fennel, carrots, shallots, and garlic in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Toss to combine and sprinkle veggies with fresh thyme leaves.
- Place baking sheet in preheated oven and roast until vegetables are tender and lightly charred, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted veggies and any juices from the baking sheet to a large soup pot and add chicken broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot and and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend contents of the soup pot until completely smooth. Stir in the coconut milk and fresh basil and serve immediately. Enjoy!