This spinach salad made with apples, walnuts, cranberries, and feta cheese is not only a powerhouse of nutrients, it is also exploding with flavor. And… it is beautiful!
This is a great salad to eat on a hot summer day but just think how gorgeous this would be served alongside your Christmas dinner.
Why This Salad is so Healthy
We all know spinach is healthy but let’s look at why. Spinach contains high levels of vitamin K which helps in the formation of blood clots. It has more iron than any other vegetable or fruit and is rich in folate. The fiber content makes you feel full for longer so you are less likely to overeat. This means that if you have eaten too much food then there will be no room left for dessert. So go ahead and enjoy some deliciousness without worrying about gaining weight.
Apples are an amaaaazing fruit. Read, 10 Amazing Health Benefits of Eating Green Apples That You Never Knew. All apples are good for you so this addition to the salad is a must.
Walnuts are an incredible superfood. They deserve an article of their own. Read, The Health Benefits of Walnuts. They contain omega-3 fatty acids as well as antioxidants such as Vitamin E and selenium. These nuts are packed with protein and fiber making them perfect for those who need extra energy throughout the day.
Cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving. I buy extra bags during the holiday season when you can find them and stick them in my freezer so I have them throughout the year. They contain powerful anti-inflammatory properties. In fact, they may help prevent cardiovascular disease by reducing inflammation in arteries. They also reduce risk factors associated with diabetes including insulin resistance and obesity. Oh, and of course we all know how great they are for treating a urinary tract infection.
Feta cheese is one of my favorite cheeses because I love its tangy flavor. It’s loaded with calcium and magnesium which both support bone growth and muscle contraction. Calcium is important for strong bones and muscles while magnesium supports nerve function.
I am not sure if it is the ingredients or the vinaigrette that makes this salad so good. I think it is a combination of the two. The vinaigrette adds a slightly sweet, savory, and tangy component that will make your taste buds sing.
So, if you are tired of the same old salad I invite you to try this one. If you do, please drop me a comment and let me know how you liked it.
Spinach Salad with Apples, Walnuts, Cranberries, and Feta Cheese
This Salad is delicious, healthy, and pretty. The addition of walnuts adds some incredible health benefits. Learn more about why walnuts reign supreme.
Spinach Salad with Walnuts, Apples, Cranberries, and Feta CheesePrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 5-ounce bag baby spinach or 5 cups packed
- 1 large crisp tart apple such as Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Braeburn, McIntosh, Jonathan, Empire, or Cortland, cored and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Wisk while slowly drizzling in the olive oil.
- Add the spinach and toss gently to coat in the vinaigrette. Add the apple, feta, walnuts, and cranberries and toss gently again to combine. Serve immediately.
- The vinaigrette can be made ahead of time and stored in refrigerator