Links on this website may lead you to a product or service that provides an affiliate commission to the owner of this site should you make a purchase. In no way does any affiliate relationship ever factor into a recommendation, or alter the integrity of the information I provide. 10% of all income made by The Healthy Tomato is donated to KidsGardening.org to support better nutrition for our youth.
Kale and Green Apple Salad with Carrots and Cheddar Cheese
A healthy salad that tastes great?
I am not a huge fan of raw kale but this salad tastes so good that I have actually been craving it.
I have had it for breakfast the last two days. I know it is a salad but I eat a lot of non-breakfast foods for breakfast and besides it does have apple in it..
And if you want to learn about all the amazing health benefits of eating green apples then you will want to read this article.
Kale and Green Apple Salad with Carrots and Cheddar Cheese.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chopped de-stemmed curly kale
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 medium green-skinned apple thinly sliced
- 3 ounce shredded extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup pecan halves or chopped walnuts
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- The trick with any kind of kale salad is to “massage” the kale.I am honestly not sure why but it works so I do it. Don’t question what works- right? Place the kale in a large bowl, drizzle on the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt. Now massage it. Don’t be afraid to get your hands in there and just massage away. Just when you think you have massaged enough give it a little more love.Remember this is S.E.X.Y. food. Use all your senses and allow yourself to be in the moment. Feel the textures, smell the fruitiness of the olive oil. Enjoy the moment as you know you are preparing food that will not only nourish your one and only body but you are preparing something that tastes great and is full of life energy.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the apple cider vinegar, mustard, honey, and black pepper. Set aside.
- To the kale add the shredded carrots, apple, nuts, and shredded cheddar then add the dressing and toss lightly.