Links on this website may lead you to a product or service that provides an affiliate commission to the owner of this site should you make a purchase. In no way does any affiliate relationship ever factor into a recommendation, or alter the integrity of the information I provide. 10% of all income made by The Healthy Tomato is donated to KidsGardening.org to support better nutrition for our youth.
Make this creamy turkey mushroom soup in the summer or in the fall.
It is a nice light meal with a side salad in the summer and great on a chilly evening with some warm crusty bread.
It looks and tastes rich but using lean turkey meat and priced cauliflower keeps this version healthy while still producing a ton of flavor.
How about this Spinach Salad with Apples, Walnuts, Cranberries, and Feta Cheese to serve with it for a complete meal?
- Olive oil
- Red onion
- Ground Turkey
- Italian seasoning (make your own)
- Crushed red pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chicken broth(make your own egg shell bone broth for more health benefits)
- Heavy cream
- Italian shredded cheese
- Fresh Parsley
Ingredients are placed in pot as per directions below and simmered until done.
If you want to lighten this soup up even more substitute the heavy cream with 1/2 and 1/2 or even a little non dairy milk.
You could also use ground chicken if you didn’t have any turkey but I think the turkey provides a much richer flavor.
If you want to make a vegan version use vegetable broth, non dairy milk and omit the cheese.
If using cream/dairy make sure to temper by adding a very small amount of hot liquid to the cream a bit at a time before adding it to the soup. This will keep it from curdling.
Creamy Turkey Mushroom Soup
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ c. red onion diced small
- 1 large stalks celery diced small
- c. white mushrooms chopped
- 1 lb. ground turkey 85% lean
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- ½ t. crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ t. garlic powder
- ½ t. onion powder
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 c. chicken broth preferably organic
- ½ c. heavy cream tempered*
- 1 12- oz. bag frozen riced cauliflower
- 2 c. Italian blend cheese shredded, divided
- 3 T. fresh parsley finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and sauté, stirring frequently, until the veggies are soft, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, ground turkey, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and onion powder to the skillet. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring frequently, until the turkey is no longer pink and the mushrooms start to release their juices, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add chicken stock. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Add a spoonful of the hot liquid to the heavy cream to temper it before adding it to the skillet, as well. Stir to combine and simmer for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add frozen cauliflower rice and 1½ cups of the shredded cheese to skillet and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until cauliflower is heated through and cheese is completely melted. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Remove from heat and transfer to individual soup bowls. To serve, top each bowl with remaining cheese and fresh parsley, if desired. Enjoy!